Monday, April 4, 2011

Crackers in my Slipper and a Penny in my Shoe: Life with My Children

"Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face; you kind of want to be fully committed" (Eat Pray Love) As a mother of two not only did I find the quote hysterical I can also testify to the truth of it! I sometimes feel like I have "Mommy" tattooed on my face in the form of dark circles under my eyes. Last week was a hectic week around the Hix household. Certainly not one for the semi-committed! Or unprepared.

Ana cut four teeth in a weeks time period (and is working on at least two more!). I've never been so thankful to see teeth come through. I noticed that they were working on coming through three weeks ago - the day after I had committed myself to doing away with the pacifier once an for all. Whoever said that it only takes a couple days to get a child over the pacifier addiction has never met my daughter; it took almost three weeks for her to get back to her normal sleep schedule! During which time Trenton has been sick and/or going through a growth spurt.

Needless to say, I've been a bit tired.

Children turn your world upside down - they change the way you live, the way you think, the way you view everything.

Two years ago I didn't have to check my slipper before putting it on for fear of stepping on a peanut butter cheese cracker. I didn't have to remember to put the lid on the nuts concerned that if I didn't they would get spilled all over the floor. Spur of the moments dates were much easier to do because we didn't have to worry about nap time or bed time. I never to worry about baby spitting up in my hair and down my back. I didn't have toys spread from one side of the room to the other in a nearly solid sheet. I didn't feel like locking myself in a room because of an inconsolable or cranky baby.

Two years ago I didn't have a daughter run up squealing "mommy" as she wrapped her arms around me. I didn't have a son whose whole face lit up when I did something so simple as make eye contact with him. I didn't have a daughter pucker up with her little tongue sticking out for a kiss. I didn't get to hear her say "I love you." I didn't get to get all excited over each new little thing that they are doing. I didn't get to see the world through my children's eyes. I didn't get to laugh at their cute antics. I didn't get to listen to my babies giggles. I didn't get to snuggle them close and watch them as they slept.

Two years ago I didn't have the stress of being a parent.

Two years ago I didn't have the joys of being a mommy.

So yes, you might want to be sure you are ready for the commitment of having your world turned upside down...sometimes I even joke about wanting to give my children away after a particularly stressful day (or week). But there are blessings in it - so many things that I am thankful for.

And if the giggles and kisses and snuggles come at the price of having cheerios on the floor and pennies in my shoes - well, I'll take it!!!

My sweet boy
Ana loving on her baby brother!

Giving baby "Trenty" kisses

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Just found your blog! :-) Love it! This was a cute blog you wrote! Elissa Berg

    ReplyDelete