Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Two of a kind

Most people don't know that my daughter is named after my sister (no, her name is not the Big Diva!). My sister, Christi, and I, despite the 9 year age gap, have always had a very special and close relationship. It is something that time and distance have not been able to diminish. We talk, or text, pretty much every day. We have shared clothes, stories, jewelry, food, even housing - and although we've never shared our husbands we have occasionally considered trading children!

Life in the military took us thousands of miles apart resulting in us not being able to spend as much time together as either of us would like. Couple that with the fact that my daughter is rather slow to connect with people and extremely choosy in who she shares her affection with I was a bit nervous about how quickly she would warm up to my sister when she came out to help us finish packing and make the journey to Wisconsin after my husband deployed. Much to my surprise, within the first day my daughter attached herself like a little leach to "Irsti" and she became not just the favorite aunt but her favorite person.

For the next three weeks my little diva became my sister's constant shadow. Which was a huge relief for me since it made the transition of Daddy leaving and settling it at my parents house so much easier. Now my sister has headed back to her home down south and both my little Diva and I are missing her sorely. But I'm thankful for the time that we were all able to spend together and for the relationship that they were able to build. And I'm looking forward to getting to spend some time with 'Irsti and her family in December :)

'Irsti and Ana on Day 1!

1 comment: